The ketogenic diet has been one of the top trending diets during the past few years. This diet is low-carb and high-fat, which makes it different from other low-carbohydrate diets like Atkins. One of the keys to keto is eating and cooking with high fats like cocoa butter and coconut oil. In the past, low-fat diets were trending. However, health experts have recently been focusing on the importance of consuming “good” fats like omega-3 fatty acids instead of “bad” fats like trans-fats. These ingredients can provide various benefits like lower cholesterol and better heart health. Inf act, high-fat diets are better for weight loss than low-fat diets.
The key is to know how to use these ingredients effectively. For example, many of us are used to adding vegetable oils and margarine to our diets. These options can provide various health issues. Interestingly, trans fats were invented for “tub” margarine. Meanwhile, vegetable oils are highly refined so they’re not as healthy as other options like olive oil. However, you might be unsure how to use other options like coconut oil and cocoa butter. That situation should change since these are keto-friendly foods that can help you lose weight and belly fat while on the low-carb diet.
High-fat Keto Diet: Cocoa Butter and Coconut Oil
The ketogenic diet got its name because it forces your body to go into “ketosis.” This is a state that causes the body to get its energy from stored fat. The liver also produces more of something called “ketones.” These energy sources help to fuel the body and brain.
This diet is low-carb but it takes a slightly different approach than similar diets. For example, the Atkins Diet also causes your body to go into ketosis. However, it doesn’t provide guidelines for fats and protein. Unlimited amounts are allowed on Atkins.
The Keto diet is different. It puts healthy fats at around 70%, and sometimes it’s higher. Protein should be mid-range at 20% to 25%. Carbs are rock-bottom at 10% or lower.
A key to the diet though is to consume a high amount of healthy fats. This means you can’t eat lots of jelly-filled donuts, microwave popcorn, or stuffed-crust all-meat pizzas.
While the keto diet is high-fat it turns your body into a fat-burning machine. That’s because it starts burning fat after it’s used up all food carbs and stored carbs. Plan B is fat.
That said, the key here is you should consume healthy fats like:
- Fatty fish (salmon, trout, herring, mackerel, tuna, sardines)
- Olive/Coconut oil
- Lean Meats
Some modified keto diets tweak carbs or protein in particular. However, even when these macros are bumped up, you’ll still need to get a high percentage of good fats.
Various studies show that this approach can provide various health benefits. One surprising benefit is eating more good fat seems to help you lose weight faster. It might also help lower blood pressure, blood sugar, and bad cholesterol levels.
The keto diet might even help to lower the risk of certain serious diseases. They include type-2 diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers.
How to Use Cocoa Butter
Many of us have heard of cocoa/cacao butter but it’s usually used as home remedies for healthy skin. However, this is also a keto-friendly food. This butter is carb-free so it’s easy to add to different recipes to help you stay in a state of ketosis.
The food is a product of the chocolate bean. It can provide various health benefits like saturated fats, disease-fighting antioxidants, and plant-based chemicals “flavanols.” These nutrients can provide you with several health benefits like lowering inflammation.
The butter is made after cacao beans are processed. Cocoa butter is used for various products like candy bars. This helps to provide a smooth texture.
Cocoa butter is 100% dairy-free and is classified as vegetable fat. It might help to reduce inflammation because of the natural saturated fats.
It’s worth noting that there’s a small difference between cocoa and cacao butter. Their taste /texture are similar. However, cacao butter has more nutrients, good fats, and chocolate aroma. However, both foods are keto-friendly and good options as sources of good fat.
There are different ways you can use cocoa butter.
- Bulletproof Coffee: You can add the butter to your cup of joe to make the famous Bulletproof Coffee. You can also add some coconut oil for more good fat.
- White chocolate: Cocoa butter can be used as a substitute for white chocolate. It’s keto-friendly so you can enjoy the sweetness/richness of regular white chocolate. Just swap out the sugar spikes!
- Ice cream: Make your chocolate/vanilla keto ice cream even better by adding some cocoa butter.
- Sugar-free chocolate: Another option is sugar-free chocolate. These are good options if you want to enjoy sugar-free recipes that include chocolate. You’ll get the sweetness and healthy fats of regular chocolate without the sugar spikes.
- Smoothies: This is a healthy way to add good fat to your favorite cold drinks.
How to Use Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another keto-friendly source of good fats. It’s full of stuff like lauric acid and MCT that can provide various health benefits. They include energy boosts and better overall health.
When picking coconut oil, it’s important to select high-quality coconut oil. This will help you get the most health benefits when using it for keto recipes. However, you’re already on the right track by picking this option versus other options like vegetable oil.
When picking coconut oil make sure to research how it’s processed. The reason is certain methods remove many of the possible health benefits of the oil.
Here are some top keto-friendly uses of coconut oil:
- Energy Drink: Sometimes we just need a pick-me-up drink to get through the day. You can add coconut oil with other ingredients like chia seeds, lemon/lime juice, and purified water. It can help you rev up your body/brain.
- Fat Bombs: If you’re on the keto diet you should know about these mini cheesecakes known as “fat bombs” or “keto bombs.” They’re chock-full of fat and surprisingly low-carb. Yes, they also contain coconut oil.
- Mayonnaise: In many situations, you can replace “bad” fat with the good fat of coconut or avocado oil. This provides a rich/creamy mayo that’s not only high-fat but still low-carb.
- Baking: When doing keto baking it’s important to stay low-carb and high-fat. For example, you can swap out wheat flour and swap in almond/coconut flour. Coconut oil is another outstanding option as a source of good fat for cookies, bars, cakes, etc.
- Bulletproof Coffee: Yes, coconut oil is another ingredient found in this coffee drink with buttery goodness. You can add a little to your java to add more flavor and healthy fats as another use of cocoa butter and coconut oil.