Collagen is a type of protein that’s naturally found and abundant in mammals. It’s usually stored in the fibrous tissues of the body. It includes the bones, tendons, and muscle tissues, and skin. It’s composed of a combination of certain amino acids that forms elongated fibrils of triple-helices. In this article, we’ll tell you how to take collagen supplements and how to choose the right brand for you.
It helps keep the elasticity and strength of the skin and muscle tissues. It also acts as a cushion between joints. However, collagen production in our body depletes as we advance in age. As collagen depreciates, the skin starts to wrinkle and progressively lose its moisture. The joint cartilage also weakens, increasing risks of osteoarthritis.
And it even drops rapidly due to negative factors such as alcohol, prolonged exposure to the sun, sleep deprivation, and overeating. According to statistics, women may experience a more significant decrease comparing to their male counterparts. At the start of the menopausal stage, they will begin to experience a rapid decline in collagen production. By the age of 60, the decrease is now considered normal.
Taking in collagen supplements ensures that the body still gets enough supply of collagens. Aside from keeping our skin health intact, collagen pills can also provide other beneficial effects that will be explained further later.
How to take collagen supplements
After your meals, you need to wait for three hours before consuming the collagen supplements. It must be taken on an empty stomach because collagens should pass through your digestive system without being metabolized by the acids in your stomach and intestines.
Per dosage may depend on the leaflet indicated in the package or as doctors’ advice. The general dosage should be three 400 milligrams of pills and consumed with a full glass of water. Also, for a better result, take the supplement before going to bed. The reason for this is that the digestive system is less active while sleeping. And the body absorbs and processes collagens more effectively during these periods.
Another reason why it’s recommended to take the pills before going to bed is to ensure that you won’t eat anything while the collagen is being absorbed. This is because when you eat, it induces your stomach to digest and may start to metabolize collagen supplements as well. If collagens are broken down it becomes ineffective. Thus, refrain from drinking or eating after you’ve taken your daily supplements.
Use the supplements for about two to four months and observe your overall condition. Discontinue supplement usage if there no improvements after the specified periods.
Best collagen supplements in the market
Collagens are naturally produced by our bodies. However, as we grow old, it also diminishes and needs to be replenished to maintain healthy skin, muscles, and bones. We can supply the body’s demand for collagen through dietary supplements. It may come in forms such as powder, tablets, or gummies. The following are some of the best supplements around.
- MAV Nutrition Collagen Gummies – it doesn’t only improve your skin health but it also enhances the appearance of your nails and hair.
- Garden of Life Organic Plant Collagen – it’s specially designed for individuals under a vegan or vegetarian diet. It’s free of meat, dairy products, and fish.
- Bulksupplements Pure Hydrolyzed Collagen Powder – this dietary supplements’ efficacy is laboratory tested. And, it also guarantees a pure and clean powder.
- NeoCell Super Collagen +C – it includes a scientifically studied formulation they call BioActive NeoCell Collagen. It doesn’t only support the needs of the skin but also the demands of the entire body.
- Zint Grass-fed Beef Collagen Powder – The ingredients used for this supplement is extracted naturally to preserve amino acids’ important properties. It includes proline, glycine, glutamine, and arginine.
- Amandean Wild-caught fish marine collagen – collagens used are freshly caught fish from the waters of the North Atlantic Ocean. It’s free of gluten, corn, dairy products, yeast, wheat, and soy.
- Sanar Naturals Collagen Wrinkle Formula – they tout a unique formula that may improve the persons’ overall skin elasticity. In addition, it may also strengthen bones and connective tissues.
- Youtheory Collagen Advance – in addition to its content, it also contains ascorbic acid which is also known to slow the effects of aging.
- Great Lakes Gelatin Collagen Hydrolysate – this dietary supplements’ collagen is extracted from a pure dietary protein and mixed with certain amino acids. Aside from its beneficial effects on the skin, it can also improve your overall well-being.
Benefits of collagen supplements
Listed below are some of the health benefits of collagen supplements that are backed up by scientific researches:
Improve overall skin health
As mentioned, as we age, the skin condition also deteriorates which leads to drier and wrinkled skin. Taking in regular supplements ensures that our body still gets enough supply of collagens.
Improve hair and nail condition
In cosmetics, taking in collagen supplements goes beyond skin health because it can also strengthen your nails and hair.
Ease joint pains
Another health problem that also occurs when we grow older is the weakening of cartilage. It’s a rubber tissue that holds the joints together. Health experts say that intake of collagen can somehow relieve pain from osteoarthritis.
Enhance muscle mass
Our body often loses muscle mass every time we undergo intense physical activities. Intake of this supplement helps the body to produce creatine which is essential in muscle growth. It may also help you recover faster after an intense exercise.
Improve bone health
Researches have shown that regular consumption of this supplement may help reduce the risk of bone disorder such as osteoporosis.
Promote weight loss
Although there is no scientific evidence to back up this claim, health experts believe that the supplement can boost your metabolism and promote weight loss.
Support cardiovascular health
Collagens support the arteries and blood vessels that distribute blood to your entire body. Without the help of collagens, the heart may become weak and vulnerable to diseases.
Boost cognitive function
Some studies revealed that this supplement can help improve your mood and relieve symptoms of anxiety.
Improve digestive health
Some health experts suggest that it may treat symptoms of intestinal issues like a leaky gut.