People who go on the Ketogenic diet usually expect some health benefits and positive effects on their overall quality of life. This is particularly true for people who wish to lose weight and keep the weight off while ensuring optimal health. The ketogenic has been proven to contribute to the weight loss success of people who followed the correct process of achieving ketosis. However, there have been studies that show the different possible effects of the ketogenic diet, particularly the resulting ketosis brought about by the aforementioned diet program. If you want to know more about the signs and symptoms to look out for in ketosis, read on!
The Ketogenic Diet and the Resulting Ketosis: What gives?
Before we can go ahead and talk about the signs to watch out for when in ketosis, it is important to look at what the ketogenic diet is and what ketosis is. The ketogenic diet popularly referred to as the keto diet, is a type of low carb- high-fat diet program designed to help individuals lose fat and achieve sustainable weight loss. Ketosis, on the other hand, is the status the body achieves during the ketogenic diet where the human body burns fat more efficiently as it shifts from carbs to fats for fuel. This state of ketosis is confirmed and maintained by the liver’s production of ketones which in turn can be used as energy by the human brain.
Why Is Keto Diet So Popular?
The ketogenic diet is quite popular due to the number of health benefits that it provides to dieters. Some of these health benefits include:
- Weight loss: Evidence shows that the keto diet can help people lower or reduce their weight and the accompanying diseases associated with being obese or overweight such as cardiovascular diseases.
- Type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes: People on the keto diet can help their bodily functions normalize. This will result in better management and prevention of type 2 diabetes.
- Reduced risk of developing certain cardiovascular and heart diseases: This is through the keto diets reduction of HDL and body fat which in turn, can lead to better management of hypertension and reduced risk of heart disease
- Cancer: The ketogenic diet can help people with cancer as it can slow down tumor growth and development
- Epileptic seizures: Studies show that the keto diet can actually aid in the reduction of epileptic seizures experienced by epileptic patients.
- Alzheimer’s disease: It has been shown to further slow down the deterioration of patients with Alzheimer’s.
- Brain injuries: Animal studies conducted recently showed that the keto diet may help in the enhanced and better recovery of patients who suffered injuries to their brains. Further studies are needed to confirm this though as the said data were taken from animal studies.
Unwanted Symptoms and Signs of Ketosis
This keto flu may have symptoms such as dry mouth, headache, fatigue, and nausea. However, this negative or unwanted sign of ketosis may actually be the body starting to shift towards the more positive symptom of ketosis which is improved mental functions and less brain fog.
Issues related to the gut
This includes issues such as diarrhea, constipation, and urination. This is possibly due to the fact that the ketogenic diet or the keto diet will entail some form of major dietary shift or change for the dieter.
Bad breath can be a common sign when people reach ketosis. Keto breath is an indication of increased levels of ketones. However, the exact reason for this bad breath is the presence of acetone in the dieter’s urine and breath. To address the issue, people may try out some form of sugar form candy or gum.
Positive Symptoms and Signs of Ketosis
Improved mental functions and less brain haziness or fog
This is because their brains start to shift the utilization of fats as the main source of energy. This will result in ketones which is a very good and excellent source of fuel for the human brain.
More satiated and full
This can be the main reason why people can maintain their ideal weight when doing the ketogenic diet. Feeling full can help prevent cravings. Dieters may also experience long term weight loss- The ketogenic diet can help people overcome the first week’s water loss and sustain consistent and constant weight loss by burning unwanted fats in the long run.